[ RadSafe ] Unidentified Helicopters Nearly Fired Upon Over Nuclear Power PlantBy

Sandy Perle sandyfl at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 12 23:22:15 CET 2005

On 12 Mar 2005 at 15:48, Richard L. Hess wrote:

> I think that the security folks made the right choice based on what
> I've learned here about the safety of containment vessels.

If the security plan states that any intrusion of airspace will
result in "bringing down" the intruder, then the security force
failed to do their job. If this is not a required action in this type
of event, then it should be revised to ensure that any intruder is
dealt with expeditiously. If the intruder can be escorted out of the
area where it can do no damage, then let it land. If it can not, it
should be shot down.

After the 1st WTC building was attacked, the 2nd jet that was
approaching the 2nd WTC building should have been shot down. To do so
would have unfortunately resulted in the loss of life on the plane,
but would have saved thousands by having it not hit the 2nd tower.
Our military failed to act promptly, our security forces failed to
act promptly, and there was too much thinking (or lack of), and they
were simply not prepared to address the threat at hand.

In a case of a nuclear power plant, there are restrictions. You enter
a restricted area and refuse to respond to instructions, then you
should be shot down. Period.

Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714 Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/
Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/