[ RadSafe ] Re: Government Report Warns of Security Holes in Aviation Chartered Planes, Helicopters Seen as Possible Targets

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 18:04:23 CET 2005

Are we supposed to be impressed?  This scenario was
proposed after the attack on the World Trade Center
towers.  I am surprised no one has taken out the San
Francisco Bridge yet.

In the book and movie "Black Sunday," they used a
blimp.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?pwb=1&ean=9780451204158

--- Sandy Perle <sandyfl at earthlink.net> wrote:

> NOTE the intended use of helicopters!!!!
>

> Government Report Warns of Security Holes in
> Aviation
> Chartered Planes, Helicopters Seen as Possible
> Targets
>
> By ERIC LICHTBLAU, The New York Times
>
> WASHINGTON (March 13) - Despite a huge investment in
> security, the
> American aviation system remains vulnerable to
> attack by al-Qaida and
> other jihadist terrorist groups, with noncommercial
> planes and
> helicopters offering terrorists particularly
> tempting targets, a
> confidential government report concludes.
>
> Intelligence indicates that al-Qaida may have
> discussed plans to
> hijack chartered planes, helicopters and other
> general aviation
> aircraft for attacks because they are less
> well-guarded than
> commercial airliners, according to a previously
> undisclosed 24-page
> special assessment on aviation security by the
> Federal Bureau of
> Investigation and the Department of Homeland
> Security two weeks ago.
>
> But commercial airliners are also "likely to remain
> a target and a
> platform for terrorists," the report says, and
> members of al-Qaida
> appear determined to study and test new American
> security measures to
> "uncover weaknesses."
>
> The assessment comes as the Bush administration,
> with a new
> intelligence structure and many new counterterrorism
> leaders in
> place, is taking stock of terrorists' capabilities
> and of the
> country's ability to defend itself.
>
> While Homeland Security and the F.B.I. routinely put
> out advisories
> on aviation issues, the special joint assessment is
> an effort to give
> a broader picture of the state of knowledge of all
> issues affecting
> aviation security, officials said.
>
> The analysis appears to rely on intelligence
> gathered from sources
> overseas and elsewhere about al-Qaida and other
> jihadist and Islamic-
> based terrorist groups.
>
> A separate report issued last month by Homeland
> Security concluded
> that developing a clear framework for prioritizing
> possible targets -
> a task many Democrats say has lagged - is critical
> because "it is
> impossible to protect all of the infrastructure
> sectors equally
> across the entire United States."
>
> The aviation sector has received the majority of
> domestic security
> investments since the Sept. 11 attacks, with more
> than $12 billion
> spent on upgrades like devices to detect explosives,
> armored cockpit
> doors, federalized air screeners and additional air
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com