[ RadSafe ] Re: U.S. Nuclear Power Industry Workers Study - HealthyWorker Effect

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 21:59:34 CET 2005

Part of the problem is that biology is not like
physics.  Predictions made at high values do not
necessarily occur at low values.  Then there is the
problem of cellular studies vs. epidemiological
studies.  How cells respond to radiation may be
mediated by the response of other cells and enzymes,
etc. in the body. I guess that I doubt that there is a
risk or benefit at low doses and dose rates, but I may
be in the minority.

I really don't know how common hormesis is in nature.
I guess if you look for it, you will find it.  I have
never consider the analogy with vitamins to be that
strong of an argument.  We need vitamins for
biochemical functions.  Do we really need radiation?
If so, how much?  Are people who live in "high"
radiation areas really that much healthier?

Actually, I think that those who push hormesis are
desperate for an audience.  My impression is that
hormesis is being pushed to counter the LNT argument
and oppose the idea of ALARA.  You eliminate ALARA,
you save money.

Any final "resolution" will require an analysis of the
entire body of evidence.  If any effect, good or bad,
is demonstrated to be marginal or even non-existent,
it doubt it will change the way we do things.  But I
could be wrong.

--- "Syd H. Levine" <syd.levine at mindspring.com> wrote:

> You already sent me copies.  I did not say anybody
> was biased, just that
> Long's detractors seem more desperate to mine the
> data for some little shred
> of evidence to support LNT.  Since hormesis is a
> common effect in nature,
> why would anyone assume LNT makes sense?  If the
> precautionary principle and
> LNT had always ruled, we would not have RDAs for
> vitamins.

=== message truncated ===

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com