[ RadSafe ] Radioactive release from Mount St Helens

Bjorn Cedervall bcradsafers at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 17 13:34:14 CET 2005

>Can someone give me a real number along with a good basis (published paper,
book, etc.) for the total radioactivity released from the 1980 Mount St.
Helens eruption?   I have a figure for radon (3 million curies) from one
book but no figure for total activity including uranium, radium, thorium,
potassium-40, etc.  Not urgent, just for some training/briefing materials.

---
Check with the Radsafers Archive - one ref. is Soldat et al, Science, 6
October 1980.
(contribution by Ron L. Kathren)
Also found (via Medline):
Radiation doses from Mount St. Helens 18 May 1980 Eruption.
Soldat et al., Science. 1981 Jul 31;213(4507):585. No abstract available.

Another hit is "The source I have estimates that 3 million curies of radon
was released
during the Mount Saint Helens eruption in 1980.  That reference is "
Radiation & Radioactivity on Earth and Beyond" by Draganic, Draganic and
Adloff, CRC Press, Inc.  1990." (text from Laurie Taylor)

Then one gets many hits with Helen Caldicott but that is obviously a
sidetrack...
(from  Helens AND radioactivity )

My personal action only,

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers at hotmail.com