[ RadSafe ] Original Oak Ridger Editor Dick Smyser died Monday

Stabin, Michael michael.g.stabin at Vanderbilt.Edu
Fri Mar 18 13:22:18 CET 2005

This is truly sad news. I knew Dick fairly well, although only
professionally, but had very high respect for him. He was a rare animal
- a fair journalist. He was not into sensational journalism, as are his
Knoxville News Sentinel counterparts, who take every opportunity to
stretch the truth to make a more noticeable headline when dealing with
Oak Ridge health and safety concerns. His philosophy was "drumbeat"
reporting. Just keep reporting the facts, without bias or
sensationalism, but let 'em know you are there every day and that you
will report when they do well or when they don't. He was also a big
believer in public education, and at times helped the local health
physics community to disseminate just plain information about technical
issues related to radiation in understandable form, without editorial
comment. I wish I could have been a friend to Dick as well, but time and
circumstances did not allow it. Knowing him "from the sidelines", so to
speak, as an HP in Oak Ridge for 15 years caused me to have an immense
respect for him, and it is truly sad to hear of his passing.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-0068