[ RadSafe ] Do better than John Snow's Work. Medical Ethics?

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 20 18:49:28 CET 2005

I would disagree.  The LNT is a hypothesis that
attempts to show the relationship dose and effect.  If
you read NCRP 136, you might better understand the
basis for it.

I do agree with you that at low doses and dose rates,
the LNT does not do well. Part of the problem is that
it does not do will at low doses because of the
statistical nature of the data sets. Also, there are
repair mechanisms that do affect cell mutation rates.
Yet, individual cells in some cases do follow the LNT
to very low doses.  However, other cell lines do not.
Also, whole organisms may not show the same dose to
effect responses that individual cells do.  The
problem is that biology is not like Newtonian physics.

Hormesis may certainly be a factor, but it may not.
However, when you cherry pick data and use selective
bias, you are not resolving the issues.

By the way, I try to stay of of the radon and EPA
issues.  I know enough to say that I understand all of
the studies.  Maybe you could enlighten me.

--- "Syd H. Levine" <syd.levine at mindspring.com> wrote:

> If it fails at low doses as you say below, then it
> is a bankrupt concept.
> If you concede that, then what are we arguing about?
>  All I put forward is
> the modest proposition that at very low doses,
> hormesis is about as likely
> as LNT to be true.  You call it cherry picking when
> Long does it, but it is
> even worse cherry picking when EPA does it to
> support LNT based public
> policy that costs us all a huge fortune.

=== message truncated ===

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com