[ RadSafe ] Hormesis - Necessary for Public Protection

howard long hflong at pacbell.net
Sun Mar 20 21:08:32 CET 2005

"Hormesis as likely as LNT"? We must be more explicit about INCREASED cancer and panic deaths from excess  "clean up" after an attack, as currently planned by DHS.

I have just reviewed the DHS Planning Scenarios for nuclear attack kindly sent me by Gerry Blackwood. As much loss of life and cost appears likely from panic response as from the attack. Fear of actually beneficial doses of radiation is expected to cause, far beyond the area of radiation overdose, traffic disaster, lawlessness, avoidance of safe water, shelter and emergency supplies long after real danger from radiation. Chernobyl is still a wasteland because of fear, not actual danger for most of the area.

LNT dinosaurs like John Jacobus stall realistic public protection.

Howard Long

If it fails at low doses as you say below, then it is a bankrupt concept.
If you concede that, then what are we arguing about? All I put forward is
the modest proposition that at very low doses, hormesis is about as likely
as LNT to be true. You call it cherry picking when Long does it, but it is
even worse cherry picking when EPA does it to support LNT based public
policy that costs us all a huge fortune.