[ RadSafe ] RE: LNT now NOT "reasonable"

Muckerheide, James jimm at WPI.EDU
Mon Mar 21 19:52:45 CET 2005

Friends,

Re NCRP-136, see:
http://cnts.wpi.edu/RSH/Docs/Correspondence/NCRP136/NCRP136Index.htm

And our quick comments last Friday on the similar ICRP Committee 1 Task Group
Report:
http://cnts.wpi.edu/rsh/docs/Correspondence/ICRP-TG1comments.htm

We anticipate that the LNT fraud will come apart in the assessment of the
ICRP Recommendations, perhaps including consideration of the extensive actual
science misconduct by authors committed to maintain the LNT and its profits.

Obviously, the LNT "debate" predates 1977. It was a major issue in the mid-
late-50s, and since. Before that in the late '40s from the medical/drugs
interest (suppressing data from the Manhattan Project research when the
medical/FDA etc. agency controls had been weakened.  But brought back strong
to constrain competition to medical/drug controls and profits.  This was
initiated by the drug companies and FDA in the mid- late-30s.

And "hormesis" bi-phasic response is, and has to be, the natural condition in
biology. Biological functions could not be maintained; life would not be
sustainable, otherwise.

For example, two recent papers by Ed Calabrese that further document
voluminous current knowledge on the subject are:

1)  Invited paper:  Paradigm lost, paradigm found: the re-emergence of
hormesis as a fundamental dose response model in the toxicological sciences

Edward J. Calabrese*

The quantitative features of the hormetic dose/response are described and
placed within the context of toxicology.

Abstract:  This paper provides an assessment of the toxicological basis of
the hormetic dose-response relationship including issues relating to its
reproducibility, frequency, and generalizability across biological models,
endpoints measured and chemical class/physical stressors and implications for
risk assessment. The quantitative features of the hormetic dose response are
described and placed within toxicological context that considers study
design, temporal assessment, mechanism, and experimental model/population
heterogeneity. Particular emphasis is placed on an historical evaluation of
why the field of toxicology rejected hormesis in favor of dose response
models such as the threshold model for assessing non-carcinogens and linear
no threshold (LNT) models for assessing carcinogens. The paper argues that
such decisions were principally based on complex historical factors that
emerged from the intense and protracted conflict between what is now called
traditional medicine and homeopathy and the overly dominating influence of
regulatory agencies on the toxicological intellectual agenda. Such regulatory
agency influence emphasized hazard/risk assessment goals such as the
derivation of no observed adverse effect levels (NOAELs) and the lowest
observed adverse effect levels (LOAELs) which were derived principally from
high dose studies using few doses, a feature which restricted perceptions and
distorted judgments of several generations of toxicologists concerning the
nature of the dose-response continuum. Such historical and technical blind
spots lead the field of toxicology to not only reject an established
dose-response model (hormesis), but also the model that was more common and
fundamental than those that the field accepted.  c 2005 Elsevier Ltd. All
rights reserved.

Risk assessment; Threshold; Linearity; History of science; History of
medicine; Toxicology

2) Critical Reviews in Toxicology, 35:89-295, 2005  [NOTE: 207 PAGES!  PDF IS
2.5 MB]

Hormetic Dose-Response Relationships in Immunology: Occurrence, Quantitative
Features of the Dose Response, Mechanistic Foundations, and Clinical
Implications

Edward J. Calabrese

Environmental Health and Health Sciences, University of Massachusetts,
Amherst, Massachusetts, USA

This article provides an assessment of the occurrence of
immune-system-related hormetic-like biphasic dose-response relationships.
Such dose-response relationships are extensive, with over 90 different immune
response-related endpoints reported, induced by over 70 endogenous agonists,
over 100 drugs, and over 40 environmental contaminants. Such hormetic
human cell lines. These findings demonstrate that immune-system-related
hormetic-like biphasic dose-response relationships are common and highly
generalizable according to model, endpoint, and chemical class. The
quantitative features of the dose response are generally consistent with
previously published examples of hormetic dose responses for other biological
endpoints. These findings were generally recognized and explicitly discussed
by the original authors, often with consideration given to possible
mechanistic foundations as well as numerous clinical implications. Despite
the recognition by individual authors of the hormetic nature of these
observed responses, the overall widespread nature of immune-related hormetic
into the highly generalizable nature of this phenomenon as well as the
complex regulatory networks affecting biological switching mechanisms that
result in the hormetic responses.

Keywords Hormesis, U-Shaped, J-Shaped, Immune Stimulation, Lymphocyte
Stimulation, Metals, Stimulatory, Inhibitory, Opioids, Cytokines,
Interleukins, Dose Response

Let me know if you want either of these papers for review.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide