[ RadSafe ] Chemical hormesis - Re: U.S. Nuclear Power Industry Workers Study -HealthyWorker Effect

Cadanau, Rod rod.cadanau at boeing.com
Tue Mar 29 21:37:02 CEST 2005

	An interesting speaker at a recent toxicology symposium spoke
about hormesis and chemical toxicology.  Hormesis can involve several
different mechanisms.  The same effect could be responsible for both
benefit and harm.  For instance, blood thinners can help reduce the
possibility of clots forming and causing strokes, but if too much is
given, excessive bleeding can become a problem.  The benefit can be from
a different effect than the harm.  Aspirin has a pain-reducing effect,
but it's also an acid.  Up to a certain amount, the stomach can easily
deal with the acid effects and allow the pain reducing benefits, but an
overdose causes the harmful effects to overcome the benefits.
Acetominophen (Tylenol) is metabolized by a particular enzyzme (which
also is part of metabolizing alcohol).  An overdose uses up all the
enzyme before more can be made and then liver damage starts.
	Balancing these effects is an important part of determining
dosage.  Someone made the interesting point that pharmaceutical research
is essentially the search for hormetic effects of chemicals.