[ RadSafe ] Re: Salsman RE: Gardner Sellafield cluster

Dimiter Popoff didi at tgi-sci.com
Wed May 4 15:51:59 CEST 2005

Richard,

> I don't have a cite, but hasn't the lead plumbing (the root Latin word is
> plumbum, isn't it, meaning lead?) in the water supply of ancient Roman been
> at least partially blamed for that civilization's downfall? Has this been
> confirmed or deprecated?

my memory from school tells me they did use lead pipes; as a consequence,
they had a life expectancy of about 40 years. I also remember that lead
poisoning resulted in lead replacing calcium in the bones which somehow
is not very healthy (but I have no idea why...).
 I am pretty sure my memory is correct, however I have not verified
the data for correctness.

> But there is a widespread awareness of heavy metal issues. I worry much
> more now as I solder with lead-bearing solder (now outlawed in the EU, if I
> understand the regulations correctly) than I used to, for example...but

I have not been buying solder recently - but soon I'll have to so I'll know.

However, are you sure there is a significant quantity of lead one can
inhale while soldering? My first reaction to this is "no way", but
I have never measured it - and measurement being my second (first?...)
nature (once a friend watched in amazement how I was trimming
the water for the coffeemaker looking at the meniskus...), I am really
curious about some numbers on that.

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com