[ RadSafe ] Re: U.S. Called Unprepared For Nuclear Terrorism -Experts Critical of Evacuation Plans

conrad sherman.conrad at comcast.net
Thu May 5 01:53:37 CEST 2005

The article is wrong at least on one point; way more than 2,000 firefighters
have been trained; between FEMA, EPA, and DOE programs, I'd bet the number
exceeds 10,000 and may approach over 100,000 who have had at least one day
of training in radiological emergencies.  FEMA has been doing this a long
time, as has DOE.  DHS through its ODP and other programs are relatively new
efforts.

I think, without having any special inside knowledge, between feds, their
contractors and the states, not counting industrial support; several
thousand health physicists, radiation safety officers, and NBC warfare
qualified advisors would be available to support first responders.

My question is this; could they be coordinated and consistent in advice and
recommendations; in other words, when will be all singing the same tune?

Preparedness is always a relative issue!

Conrad Sherman

opinions are my own