[ RadSafe ] [Fwd: 2.802 request to modify exposure and environmental limits of heavy metal radionuclides]

James Salsman james at bovik.org
Sat May 7 04:52:01 CEST 2005

---- forwarded message ----

Subject: 2.802 request to modify exposure and environmental limits of
heavy metal radionuclides
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 19:45:16 -0700
From: James Salsman <james at bovik.org>
To: secy at nrc.gov

Secretary
Attn: Rulemakings and Adjudications Staff
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
BY EMAIL AS PER 10 CFR 2.802

      PETITION FOR RULEMAKING TO AMEND 10 CFR 20

Dear NRC Secretary and Rulemakings Staff:

I request that the regulations comprised of all the values in
10 CFR Part 20 specifying limits for ingestion and inhalation
occupational values, effluent concentrations, and releases to
sewers, for all heavy metal radionuclides with nonradiological
chemical toxicity hazards exceeding that of their radiological
hazards be revised and amended such that those limits properly
reflect the hazards associated with reproductive toxicity,
danger to organs, and all other known nonradiological aspects
of heavy metal toxicity.

Many of those limits specified above apparently consider the
radiological hazard of certain chemically toxic radionuclides
with slight radiological dangers, for example Uranium-238,
without regard to their greater nonradiological hazard.  For
example, the soluble forms of Uranium-238 compounds, which are
more toxic if inhaled than the insoluble compounds, are allowed
in greater quantities than their insoluble compounds.  Other
examples may include but are not necessarily limited to
Uranium-232, Plutonium-239, and other long half-life isotopes
of the heavy metal elements.

Please note:  This petition does not request increasing the
permissible quantities given by any of those limits specified.

I further request that the classification for uranium trioxide
within Class W, given in the Class column of the table for
Uranium-230 in 10 CFR 20, be amended to Class D in light of
P.E. Morrow, et al., "Inhalation Studies of Uranium Trioxide,"
(Health Physics, vol. 23 (1972), pp. 273-280), which states:
"inhalation studies with uranium trioxide (UO3) indicated that
the material was more similar to soluble uranyl salts than to
the so-called insoluble oxides ... UO3 is rapidly removed from
the lungs, with most following a 4.7 day biological half time."

I further request that monomeric (monomolecular) uranium
trioxide gas, such as is produced by the oxidation of U3O8 at
temperatures above 1000 Celsius (R.J. Ackermann, R.J. Thorn,
C. Alexander, and M. Tetenbaum, in "Free Energies of Formation
of Gaseous Uranium, Molybdenum, and Tungsten Trioxides,"
Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 64 (1960) pp. 350-355:
"gaseous monomeric uranium trioxide is the principal species
produced by the reaction of U3O8 with oxygen" at 1200 Kelvin
and above) be assigned its own unique solubility class if
necessary, at such time in the future that its solubility
characteristics become known.

I am interested in this action because my health and the
reproductive health of my family depends in part that those
limits specified above correctly reflecting the risk of a
chemical toxicity hazard when it is greater than a
radionuclide's radiological hazard.

In support of this petition, I include below my email of
4 May 2004 to Tom Essig of the NRC, submitted in response to
his questions to me during the 2.206 pre-review petition
presentation concerning pyrophoric uranium munitions that day.

I do not request suspension of any other proceedings, including
the licensing proceeding to which I am currently a party; I ask
that proceeding continue concurrently with this rulemaking.

Sincerely,
James Salsman

---- from: http://www.bovik.org/du/du-petition.html#app-b ----