[ RadSafe ] Indoor Radon

John R Johnson idias at interchange.ubc.ca
Thu May 19 20:13:55 CEST 2005

Patrick

I have looked at your message in more detail since my to response Otto
Raabe's mail yesterday. I would also like take part in a "flame free"
dialogue on Indoor Radon.

We have just finished a review of lung cancer in miners from radon for
Health Canada (where Chen works) and concluded that the lung cancers caused
by exposure to silica and diesel exhaust have not been taken into account in
the extrapolation to "indoor" radon, and therefore the risk in houses is
less than is usually calculated.

FYI, there will be a "Heath Canada Radon Group" meeting (June 19) and 2
Radon Sessions (June 22) at the CRPA AGM in Winnipeg (see
http://www.crpa-acrp.ca/en/conference). Winnipeg is a good place for these
sessions because it had high indoor radon in the "cross Canada survey" that
was done before the current 800 Bq/m^3 guideline was established in 1988.

I will be at the AGM and look forward to attending these sessions and
discussions.

Perhaps I'll see you there!

John
 _________________