[ RadSafe ] Re: Indoor Radon

Philippe Duport pduport at uottawa.ca
Thu May 19 21:23:47 CEST 2005

Patrick,

I am the co-author, with John Johnson of the recent (Dec 2004) review of Rn risk in U mines made for Radiation Protection Bureau (Health Canada).  I would like to add to what John Johnson says that, since we are looking at lung cancer, what counts is the dose (of whatever carcinogen) to the lung.  In that regard, LUNG doses from radon decay products, gamma radiation and airborne ore dust are of comparable magnitude and that, in low grade U mines, radon decay products contribute less than half the total radiation dose - a systematic bias in epid studies (see P Duport, Radiation Protection Dosimetry Vol. 98, no. 3. pp. 329-338, 2002). The relative contribution of radon decay products to the total radiation dose to the lung is much less in high grade mines.   Also, if we accept the EPA position that cancer risks from multiple carcinogens are additive, the lung cancer risk attributable to radon decay products alone must be the difference between the overall risk observed in a population minus the sum of the risks due to all other carcinogens.  To fail to accept that is to admit, implicitly, that the risk is not linear with dose and that risks are not additive.

Please tell me if the reasoning is wrong...  I am not infallible.

regards,

Philippe Duport