[ RadSafe ] קצב קרינה במאיצים קוויים

kali1 at zahav.net.il kali1 at zahav.net.il
Tue May 24 14:27:14 CEST 2005

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:46 AM
Subject: Fw: Solar particle event

----- Original Message -----
From: kali1 at zahav.net.il
To: ROBBARISH at aol.com ; radsafe at list.vanderbilt.edu
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2005 7:25 PM
Subject: Re: Solar particle event

Dear friends,

According to British guidelines, as outlined in "Medical and Dental Guidance Notes, a Good Practice Guide on all Aspects of Radiation Protection in Clinical Environment, Table 1.2, p. 9, 2002" in the design of a linear accelerator room, one is to consider not only the annual integral dose but also is limited by Time Averaged Dose Rate (TADR). The value of TADR for unsupervised public areas -- estimated over 8 hours, taking in account use and workload for the typical worst day case scenario (an occupancy factor of one is assumed)  --  is less than 0.5 microsievert per hour (0.05 mrem per hour).

I would appreciate answers to two questions:

1.   How do British radsafers explain and justify bothering as to dose-rates where negligible doses are involved.

2.   Why the above TADR value is not applied in the design of aeroplanes, where the TADR is some 10 times higher (Well, I don't really reccommend the use of 10 cm thick lead ceilings in planes; I would rather stop bothering as to dose-rates in the design of linear accelerator rooms}.

Yehoshua Kalish
Consultant, Hod-Hasharon, Israel