[ RadSafe ] Residential radon risk

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 15:27:34 CEST 2005

I was under the impression that the physiology of
smoking resulted in a build up of muscus in the
bronchi, etc. that "protected" the cells from the
radon progeny emissions.  Does that sound reasonable?

--- Kai Kaletsch <eic at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Jerry asked: "Given the apparent negative
> correlation between smoking and
> radon levels, I wonder
> whether it is low radon levels that cause people to
> smoke, or does smoking
> somehow
> cause lower radon levels? "
>
> I think it is likely that smoking causes lower radon
> levels, because smokers
> would open a window to let some fresh air in.
>
> We have to remember that residential radon levels
> are, in part, determined
> by the residents' lifestyle. So, one could also
> expect that being sick
> increases radon levels. (Sick people might not lead
> as active lives and
> doors will stay closed.)
>
> Since residential radon levels are related to
> ventilation, one would also
> expect that they correlate positively with mould and
> other indoor
> pollutants.
>
> In the ecological studies, these factors probably
> largely cancel out and the
> average county radon levels are more related to the
> radon source term. Case
> control studies would be very susceptible to the
> influence of these other
> factors, unless these are specifically controlled.

"Embarrassed, obscure and feeble sentences are generally, if not always, the result of embarrassed, obscure and feeble thought."
Hugh Blair, 1783

e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com