[ RadSafe ] Residential radon risk

Bernard Cohen blc+ at pitt.edu
Wed May 25 17:07:35 CEST 2005

John Jacobus wrote:

>I was under the impression that the physiology of
>smoking resulted in a build up of muscus in the
>bronchi, etc. that "protected" the cells from the
>radon progeny emissions.  Does that sound reasonable?

    ---This is irrelevant to the observed fact that smokers are exposed
to slightly less radon, on average, than non-smokers. But to respond
directly, smokers have far fewer cilia that normally expel radon
daughters from the bronchial region so one would think they get much
higher radiation exposure from a given radon inhalation, but this was
found not to be the case. This is explained by the increased mucus flow
in smokers largely makeing up for the missing cilia.