[ RadSafe ] Serious Question: Radon, Radon Progeny, Lung Cancer

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Sat May 28 22:34:38 CEST 2005

RADSAFErs,

My recent posting was not intended as a „funny“. I asked to differ in
postings on „RADON“ radon and radon progeny apart. Further postings on
RADSAFE did not at all make any distinction between radon and radon progeny.
Especially some persons, who obviously regard themselves as the ultimate
authorities on radon ignored my request .

Once again, to remind the „Radon Celebrities“, who obviously have forgotten
basic science: To my knowledge, lung cancer is induced by alpha-emitting
radon progeny. Radon progeny is never in equilibrium with radon and the
equilibrium factor may vary widely. Therefore any relation between Rn-222
concentration and lung cancer is more than questionable, unless the
equilibrium factor is known. And it is almost never known. Relation between
alpha-emitting radon progeny and lung cancer could be helpful.

Finally I may again put forward my „radon-belief“: If it is so difficult and
obviously impossible to establish any connection of lung-cancer with
indoor-radon concentration any further research on low-level radon
concentrations in houses should be cancelled.

Franz Schoenhofer

PhD, MR iR

Habicherg. 31/7

A-1160 Vienna