Re: plutonium toxicology

>      Hello,
>
>      I am trying to put together information on the toxicity of plutonium.
>      I keep reading and hearing that plutonium is the "most toxic substance
>      known to man".  My instincts tell me that this is not true.  However,
>      I do not have any technical data to counter this statement.  I would
>      appreciate any information on substances which are more toxic, as well
>      as information on plutonium toxicity.
>
>      joseph guido
>      joseph_guido@ccmail.radian.com

When I worked at Ft. Detrick the most toxic substance listed in the
books was the alpha subunit of botulist toxin.  That stuff is
exquisitely toxic.  I looked up Plutonium 238 on a database and
it gave no acute toxicity information such as LD50, IDLH, LC50 etc.
The estimated lethal dose for the whole neurotoxin molecule
elaborated by Clostridium botulinum is about one microgram per
person (there are several different toxin serotypes any of which
will do the job, see Medical Microbiology 1984 Edition edited by
J.C.Sherris page 200).

Given the choice I'd rather work with any isotope of Plutonium rather
than deal with any of a number of naturally occuring and man made
neurotoxins.

Name: Edwin Jackson
EFJ@ASBHR.BYU.EDU