Re: RADSAFE digest 35

On Fri, 29 Oct 1993 forrere@ccmail.orst.edu wrote:

> Date: Fri, 29 Oct 93 17:37:31 -0500
> From:forrere@ccmail.orst.edu
> To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject: Re: RADSAFE digest 35
>

>           Investment in a freezer would be a one time cost.  How long
>           is this study going to continue?  If it is very long term
>           then the freezer would pay for itself rather quickly.
>           Another alternative would be to package the carcasses and
>           ship them to a rad waste disposal site.  Replacing this
>           method with a freezer would pay for the freezer even faster.
>           Another question.  Why only 6 months for decay.  I was under
>           the impression that 10 1/2 lives was the norm.  In the case
>           of 32P would be more like a year.
>
>           Gene Forrer

These studies will be conducted over the next 2-5 years.. This whole thing
is becomming driven not by radiation safety requirements but by cost and
space concerns ....

We aren't aiming for a total reduction of activity, just enough to bring
the effluents to  resonable levels (About 20 % of our total allowed) ...

Pat Beyer