Hologic QDR X-ray Bone Densitometer RAD Protection

Fido-To: romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu!vaxb.acs.unt.e

In a msg on <Nov 24 16:36>, romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu!vaxb.acs.unt.e of 1:233/13 writes:

 r> We have a physician that plans to acquire a model QDR-1500
 r> Hologic QDR Bone Densitometer.  I have reviewed the sales
 r> literature that suggests that additional lead shielding of
 r> walls is not needed and that the operator console need not be
 r> shielded.  Does anyone have experience with these units and
 r> willing to share the protection measures taken?  I'm
 r> particularly interested about experiences in the Texas
 r> regulatory environment.

 r> James Sims,Ph.D.
 r> Radiation Safety Officer
 r> UNT Health Science Center at Fort Worth
 r> 817-735-2697 (voice)
 r> 817-735-2486 (fax)
 r> jimsims@unt.edu

Give Wess Dunn a call.  He used to work at the University of Illinois at Urbana with me and is quite familiar with our facility and has experience with all aspects of regulating the use of one of the bone desitometers.  There should be no necessity for shielding the room in which it is used.  If you'd like more info, give John Brandon a call at (217) 244-NUKE.  He can send you info from our files which you might find helpful.

--- msgedsq 2.1a
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: Cloud Chamber BBS, LurkNET HUB 217-684-2081 (1:233/15)
--
HPS - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)