Hologic QDR X-ray Bone Densitometer RAD Protection

Fido-To: romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu!vaxb.acs.unt.e

In a message of <24 Nov 93  16:36:53>, Jim Sims writes:
table

 >We have a physician that plans to acquire a model QDR-1500 Hologic
 >QDR Bone Densitometer.  I have reviewed the sales literature that
 >suggests that additional lead shielding of walls is not needed and
 >that the operator console need not be shielded.  Does anyone have
 >experience with these units and willing to share the protection
 >measures taken?  I'm particularly interested about experiences in
 >the Texas regulatory environment.

As Hector mentioned, I'm the person to talk to (or one of my staff:
I'm Chief of Medical & Academic licensing at the Texas Bureau of
Radiation Control: 512-834-6688).  First, I've yet to see a BMA
(Bone Mineral Analyzer) that had any radiation fields outside of
the actual collimated beam.  The company can supply the actual
specs (in case we don't have it with the Registry sheet).  Don't
trust anyone who says you need lead shielding for this unit.
If you need lead walls, someone is selling you an unacceptable
unit (we certainly wouldn't allow anyone to use it for BMA).

Wes Dunn

--- msged 1.99S ZTC
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: Health Physics Liberation Front  (1:233/13.2)
--
HPS - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)