Re: What are 29 CFR 1910.96 and 29 CFR 1910.97??

> Date sent:      Sat, 18 Dec 93 17:57:42 -0600
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           John Moulder <jmoulder@post.its.mcw.edu>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        What are 29 CFR 1910.96 and 29 CFR 1910.97??

> We put in a number of grant proposals to the US Army Breast Cancer Research
> Program.  Now we need to file a "Memorandum of Environmental and Safety
> Analysis".   Among the long list of documentation they want is the following
> item:
>
> "(9) Provide the following information concerning compliance with regulatory
> requirements if the proposed research involves the use of ionizing and non-
> ionizing radiation:
>      (a) Ionizing radiation, in accordance with 29 CFR 1910.96, which
> includes radioactive materials and x-rays
>      (b) Non-ionizing radiation:
>           (i) Information regarding compliance with 29 CFR 1910.97, which
> includes the use of radio-frequency and microwave radiation sources."
>

> Can anyone tell me what 29 CFR 1910.96 and 29 CFR 1910.97 are and/or where to
> get copies?  Our radiation physics and radiation safety people claim to have
> never heard of them.
>

> John Moulder (jmoulder@its.mcw.edu)      414-266-4670
> Radiation Biology Group
> Medical College of Wisconsin

John ,
    These reference are commonly know as the OSHA standards. They are
avaiolable from the U.S. Goverment Printing Office. Address requests
to the Superintendent of documents, Mail Stop: SSOP, Washington, DC
20402-9328. I have the current revision July 1993 and would be more
than willing to fax you these appropiate sections of the standard. If
you are interested I can be reached at (812) 855-6054. 8-5 EST.

                                                    Paul J. Rossi
                                                    IUCF Safety
                                      PROSSI@GREMLIN.IUCF.INDIANA.EDU