Re: What are 29 CFR 1910.96 and 29 CFR 1910.97??

On Sat, 18 Dec 93 17:57:42 -0600 John Moulder said:
>We put in a number of grant proposals to the US Army Breast Cancer Research
>Program.  Now we need to file a "Memorandum of Environmental and Safety
>Analysis".   Among the long list of documentation they want is the following
>item:
>
>"(9) Provide the following information concerning compliance with regulatory
>requirements if the proposed research involves the use of ionizing and non-
>ionizing radiation:
>     (a) Ionizing radiation, in accordance with 29 CFR 1910.96, which
>includes radioactive materials and x-rays
>     (b) Non-ionizing radiation:
>          (i) Information regarding compliance with 29 CFR 1910.97, which
>includes the use of radio-frequency and microwave radiation sources."
>

>Can anyone tell me what 29 CFR 1910.96 and 29 CFR 1910.97 are and/or where to
>get copies?  Our radiation physics and radiation safety people claim to have
>never heard of them.

They are the Occupational Safety and Health Administration's regulations
regarding ionizing and non-ionizing radiation.  Not all radiation is regualate
by the NRC.  OSHA regulates the use of X-ray machines, accelerators,
machine produced radiation and accelerator produced radioactive material.
You can get a copy of theses regulations from the Superintendent of Documents
or any commercial vendor who supplies copies of the federal regulations.  If
your library is a federal depository they will have copies of these regulation.

Ed Wilds
Radiation Safety Manager
The University of Connecticut