Copy of: What are 29 CFR 1910.96 and 29 CFR 1910.97??

Original message: "What are 29 CFR 1910.96 and 29 CFR 1910.97??" [#8667655]
From: <<root@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>>

We put in a number of grant proposals to the US Army Breast Cancer Research
Program.  Now we need to file a "Memorandum of Environmental and Safety
Analysis".   Among the long list of documentation they want is the following
item:

"(9) Provide the following information concerning compliance with regulatory
requirements if the proposed research involves the use of ionizing and non-
ionizing radiation:
     (a) Ionizing radiation, in accordance with 29 CFR 1910.96, which
includes radioactive materials and x-rays
     (b) Non-ionizing radiation:
          (i) Information regarding compliance with 29 CFR 1910.97, which
includes the use of radio-frequency and microwave radiation sources."

Can anyone tell me what 29 CFR 1910.96 and 29 CFR 1910.97 are and/or where to
get copies?  Our radiation physics and radiation safety people claim to have
never heard of them.

John Moulder (jmoulder@its.mcw.edu)      414-266-4670
Radiation Biology Group
Medical College of Wisconsin

Response #1:  VERNIG,PETER
Title 29 are the regulations of the Occupational Safety and
Health Act (OSHA).  1910.96 are the ionising radiation regs & I assume
1910.97 is nonionizing.  1910.96 was cribbed from NRC regs 20 years ago
when OSHA was established and it wasn't a partiularly good job.  Check
with your safety office for copies or OSHA or Government Printing Office.

Peter Vernig, RSO VA Med Center Denver