Re: 29 CFR 1910.96 and 1910.97

On Wed, 22 Dec 93 12:58:31 -0600 Paul W. Shafer said:
>When do these regulations take effect?  Does 1910-96 agree with the new
>10 CFR20 and the proposed change to 32 IL ADM. CODE:Chapter II Parts
>310 and 340?

Paul:
  29 CFR 1910.96 and 1910.97 are in effect right now.  When you read
29 CFR 1910.96 you will see that they do not agree with the new 10 CFR
Part 20 rules; however, if you manage you whole radiation safety program
in compliance with 10 CFR Part 20 then you may substitute these rules
for 29 CFR 1910.96.  It get a little confusing sometimes.  At least
most licensee don't have to comply with both the old and new Part 20
rules like we do in Connecticut.  Our Department of Environmental
Protection adopted 10 CFR Part 20 rules in their administrative regulations
a few years ago basically word for word and did not reference the federal
regulations.  As it turns out, Connecticut is not an agreement state and
licensees must comply with both state and federal regulation.  As of January
1 the state rules are the old Part 20 and the federal rules are the new
Part 20.  I know everyone will agree that it is comforting to know that
CT DEP said - Sorry about that, we'll try to correct the problem in the
future.  BUT, until then comply with both sets of rules.

Happy Holidays to All!

Ed Wilds
Radiation Safety Manager
The University of Connecticut