Re: 29 CFR 1910.96

On Thurs 23 dec Pat Beyer wrote:

All this is well and good for NRC regulated items... But what about X-ray
generating equipment and Accelerator produced radiaoctive materials.
Because wisconsin isn't an agreement state we are still obligated to meet
the OSHA regulations.... Our giest on compliance with 29 CFR 1910 is that
because the x-ray producing equipment is not always energized and a
person must have specific knowledge to cause the machine to operate, it
is very unlikley that anyone will over a 5 mREM dose in an hour or the
100 mREM per 5 day period. This means that areas where x-ray producing
equipment are not "Radiation Areas" and so we are only required to
conform to 1910.96 (d) and the State of Wisconsin Adminstrative
code section HSS 157 (Radiation Protection)  which mirrors the 29 CFR 1910.
It would make sense to me for part 1910.3(iii) should be changed so that
if you conform to the state (not necessarily and agreement state) codes,
you are in compliance with part 1910.... But i guess that would make
sense...