Re: Computer rad-ware

From: shand

  Commenting on the release of C-14 in the environment - a professor
at the University of Maryland proposed to travel to Iowa in 1988 to
inject bats in the field with H-3, 10 uCi per bat, no more than 1.0 mCi
total possession limit of use.  We learned through contact with our
Region I office that 150.20 could not be used because our license did
not authorize studies where " radioactive material is deliberately
released into the environment," as quoted from the NRC response.  Iowa
notified us that the project could be undertaken since the 1.0 mCi was
an exempt quantity, however our license forbid the authorization of
any projects involving " exempt quantities."  The state of Maryland
finally approved the project and we were allowed to conduct the study
under 150.20.  The other alternatives were for the professor to apply
for an NRC license, or a specific license in Iowa.  The professor
submitted the project in the last part of April - planning to be
in the field by the last part of May - our final approval for the
project was granted in the last part of May.

steve hand
university of maryland