Re: Computer rad-ware

To Bruce Busby, who posed this question:

"Also, I have a PROFESSOR who has a NSF grant (good size) to do
studies in a pristen wilderness stream by releasing small amounts of
C-14 into it.  If anyone else has delt with or is dealing with this,
plaese drop me a note.  The prof did this same type of experiment
about 6 years ago when we were an agreement state, but now were
not, so the NRC is involved."

I have this warning:

If your license does not already allow field studies, you may have to file an
environmental assessment with the NRC. Even though 10 CFR 51.22(c)(14)(v)
identifies "educational purposes" as a categorical exclusion from environmental
assessments, the statements of consideration that went with part 51 disallowed
this exclusion for situations in which "licensed material is deliberately
released into the environment for purposes of the study." We found this out the
hard way when a researcher wanted to inject some pronghorn antelope with small
amounts of tritium in an outside arena. Now, almost ten months later, the
assessment of "No Significant Impact" is almost ready to be submitted to the
Federal Register (maybe next week), after which the NRC can grant our anendment
to allow the study to be carried out.

I'm warning you because I wish someone had warned me. It caught everyone by
surprise, but we're not the first or the only ones. Just ask UCLA or Purdue.

Sadder but Wiser,
Jim Herrold, RSO
University of Wyoming