U Waste and N-gen

Fido-To: romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu!fs.isu.edu!bus

In a message of <27 Jan 94  11:06:02>, romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu!fs.isu.edu!BUS (1:233/13) writes:

 >Also, for some unknown reason (go figure), our physics department is
 >going to get a used neutron generator (Tritium target deuterium
 >acclerator).  The machine had a load of 20-50 curies of tritium
 >already (ion pump).

As JB said, if you are dealing with anything EXCEPT sealed targets
(used on most new neutron generators), just say no.  They are messy.
Not only does the oil get totally crapped up, but so does the entire
work area everytime you open the chamber to atmospheric pressure
(i.e., target changes and/or maintenance).  Just ask the manufacturer's
of the sealed targets or any other old users.

--- msged 1.99S ZTC
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: Health Physics Liberation Front  (1:233/13.2)
--
HPS - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)