Fume Hood Decontamination

Fido-To: romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu!cc.colorado.ed

In a msg on <Feb 06 18:05>, romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu!cc.colorado.ed of 1:233/13 writes:

 r> Our faculty (in an unprecidented move towards common sense
 r> radioactives management) are consolidating all the tracers and
 r> sealed source labs in Biology and Chemistry into one room.

This could be a BIG mistake unless they also make sure and appoint ONE PERSON
to be *in charge* of the whole lab with the authority to deny access to any
faculty member that messes the place up.  If they think they can have a single
lab for everyone to share without such an arrangement, you're going to have
some real problems on your hands.

 r> We have five faculty in Bio and Chem who use radiation, and
 r> only four of those use tracers.  (This to answer the 'my god
 r> they'll be running all over each other' questions....)

The fact that there are only four of them might help :-)

 r> In the process, the biochemists are leaving hoods and hot
 r> zones that have been used lightly.

You're not surprised are you?  *grin*

 r> Also, are there surfactants that are better at isotope
 r> removal than, say, alconox?

There is no cleaning agent that is better at cleaning a radioactive chemical
than a non-radioactive one.  Radiactivity has no effect on solubility.

--- msgedsq 2.1a
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: Cloud Chamber BBS, LurkNET HUB 217-684-2081 (1:233/15)
--
HPS - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)