Radiation Safety Training Programs

We're coming under some fire from our Molecular Biology Department concerning
the radiation safety training my office provides.  We require all radoisotope
users, regardless of status, to attend a single 2 1/2 hour session presented
by one of the health physicists.  We include discussions of the relevant reg-
ulations, license conditions, University radioisotope procedures as set forth
in our Radiation Safety Guide, radiation units, biological effects, risks,
waste procedures, instrument survey techniques, etc.  We do not test the atten-
dees.  All radioisotope users also attend annual 30 - 60 minute refresher
training.  We're being told that our training is too long and covers too many
unnecessary subjects.  We are, of course, very curious about how our training
compares to that at other institutions.  I would be very grateful if you all
will enlighten me about your own programs.  If you want to give me more detail
than is easily written by e-mail, please give me a call at (609)258-5294.  I'd
also like to receive copies of training outlines if you're willing to give them
out.  Thanks in advance.

Sue Dupre/Office of Occupational Health & Safety/Chemical Sciences Bldg/
Forrestal Campus/ Princeton University/Princeton, NJ  08544-0710