Re: Radiation Safety Training Programs

About Radiation Safety Training:

Here at the University of Wyoming we offer Radiation Safety training once a
semester. The formal class is divided into three 2-hour segments. The required
attendance depends on the level of training and experience a worker already
has. The first segment is on the basics of radiation (natural radiation,
terminology, radiation hazards, etc.). The second section is on radiation
protection practices. If a person has come from another university with a
byproduct materials license, they most likely have had this information before.
The last section is on NRC and university regulations. I usually require all
workers to receive at least this training. If someone with previous experience
is not required to attend the first two classes, we must have documentation on
the previous training they have received. They will receive copies of the
Radiation Safety Manual and the lecture handouts for their reference.
	When we renewed our NRC license they wanted to see proof that our
training was "performance-based". We demonstrate this by: 1.) giving a
28-question quiz at the end of the training; 2.) making each principal user
document job-specific radiation safety training given to each supervised
worker; and 3.) conducting regular radiation safety inspections to see if
policies and procedures are being followed. At this time we don't feel that
refresher training is required. We do, however, publish a monthly Radiation
Safety Bulletin to keep users up to date with new regulations and requirements.

Jim Herrold, RSO
University of Wyoming