Re: LSC Recommendations

I am in the process of selecting a liquid scintillation counter to purchase.
I've a fair amount of experience with older (early '80s) LSC's, but haven't had
my hands on any of the "late" models.  In all candor, I'd rather be negotiating
a new car purchase!

As I mentioned, I'm familiar with older Beckman and Packard models.  The newer
models of both brands (Beckman has a single model, and offers upgrade packages,
while Packard offers a "range" of models) appear to have similar capabilities,
some of those being:

o	Data Management Features
o	Variable Vial Size
o	Alpha/Beta Discrimination
o	Multitasking
o	QA Software

I'd be interested in some comparitive discussion about the pros and cons of
the new generation of LSCs.  Why did those of you with new systems purchase
that particular unit, and how would you evaluate the system's performance.
Have you had any bad experiences with service and maintenance?  Are any of you
using the alpha/beta capability?  Any feedback on Packard's "Instrument
Performance Assessment" (IPA) option?

All posts are appreciated.

Erick Lindstrom
Radiation Safety Officer