Ohio legislation re landfills

This is directed to the rad. safety folks in Ohio but comments from
others are certainly welcome!

Rep. Lucas is sponsoring a bill that would require landfill
operators to report to the state of Ohio whenever they detect
"dangerous" levels of radioactivity in any shipment being brought
in.  I have yet to see the definition of "dangerous".  Experience
has shown me, though, that "dangerous" could mean anything above
background.

It seems to me that this could be another great sinkhole for the
tax dollars of the people of Ohio.  Who, in the rad. health
community was consulted when this legislation was being drafted?
I understand the concern here.  The high dose rate Ir-192 source
that was lost from the therapy site in Indiana, Pa. was detected
at the Warren, Ohio incinerator.  But in this case, even though
the the safety procedures at the therapy site were not followed
(and that is a whole other story), the safety system at the
incinerator site worked!  The Health Physics Society just released
a position statement that would apply here, I believe.  Has this
been considered by our legislators?  I just hope we can avoid
another instance of, as the cartoon in one of the past HPS
newsletters said, "Are you kidding, LEARN about radiation and lose
this irrational paranoia?"

Okay fellow Ohioans.  Let's kick this one around a little!

Best regards,
Carl

--
Carl Landis                        ad198@yfn.ysu.edu
Medical Physics Dept.              216-740-4409