AUTOCLAVING

From:	SMTP%"radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu" 16-MAR-1994 17:27:19.22
To:	SINISTERRA
CC:
Subj:	INDUSTRIAL HYGENE QUESTION..?

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 94 16:23:45 -0600
Sender: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
From: ANDRES SINISTERRA <SINISTERRA@sun1.uchc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Subject: INDUSTRIAL HYGENE QUESTION..?

I wish to ask a question on behalf of a colleague in the Environmental
Health and Safety Office.  I apologize that this is not a radiation
safety question but I hope that someone in an EHS office can reply to
this.

Question....?  (on behalf of Steve Jacobs, EHSO)

During the autoclaving (standard cycle 1 hr at >260 F) of biochemistry
research waste plastics, such as plastic pipettes, culture flasks,
etc..., 1) is there a release of organic compounds due to the melting
of petroleum based plastics, and 2)if there is a release, how was this
monitored.

Thank you in advance for forwarding this question.

Andres Sinisterra
University of Connecticut Health Center

Internet:  Sinisterra@sun2.uchc.edu
Bitnet:    Sinisterra@uconnhc