K Persulfate

--- Received from ESG.GVRZ301  (817) 551-4157       04/04/94 20.31

  -> EXM.RADSAFE           MAILING LIST/UIUC/ATTMAIL      X400

Can anyone tell me if Potassium Persulfate must be treated as a
mixed waste? It is definitely an Oxidizer as per DOT rules, but is
it considered RAM?  It seems I have several unopened containers of
this left over from some long ago experiment where this was used to
simulate a natural K-40 spectrum.

Our waste broker wants to charge us $12/gram for this and I have
4 X 2.5 Kg of this material.

4 X 2.5 Kg = 10,000 gms

10,000 gms X $12/gm = a really big number!

It would be helpful to know the specific activity of just plain ole
Postassium Persulfate if anyone has this information handy. Thanks
for any help you can provide on this.

Jeff Pettigrew
Radiation Safety Officer
Halliburton Energy Services