Re: Radioisotope Inventories

Sue,

Our license at the University of Chicagowas written to provide monthly
acquisition limits in users authorizations.  As long as they stay within
their acquisition limit they are considered in compliance regardless
of the total actual inventory.  We both control all orders and have
centralized receiving, therefore we think we have a good handle on
what they receive.  We send them a quarterly inventory report, adding
new receipts to those they reported as on hand at the time of the last
inventory.  They fill out the report and return it within about three
weeks or orders are stopped.  On the report they indicate if "ANY" of
a shipment is still on hand.  If any is on hand we treat it as if all
were on hand.  Once they report a shipment is gone, we delete it from
their inventory.  We then compile the isotopes reported as on hand
into the University's inventory.

While a least one waste site remains open we feel that this reasonably
approximates our total inventory.  Once Barnwell closes we are concerned
that we will have to become much more strict on separating the waste
inventory from the total inventory.  At this point we just don't know.

Dale Boyce  dale@radpro.uchicago.edu