Re: Radioisotope Inventories

Fido-To: romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu!vmd.cso.uiuc.e

 r> By the way, we don't have a centralized radioisotope receiving area

that's the place to start!  no wonder it's so difficult to assess the
inventories on hand in a particular lab.  i'm mildly surprised your
license allows for delivery of 'topes to labs or departments... our broad
license strictly forbids direct delivery.  all shipments come to our
receiving room... certainly makes it easier to assess individual lab
inventories.  with your system there would appear to be a lot of room
for the dishonest to operate without detection.

we send each PI a quarterly dbase summary of "open" items on hand in
her/his lab.  the PI is expected to review it for errors and/or report
orders that have been "used up".  we reserve the right to ask for a very
detailed, formal summary covering: activities on hand as of a given date,
solid/LSC/aqueous/ carcass waste generated during a specified time frame
(a calendar quarter/month/whatever) and gaseous releases too. this is
used for more as a check on their ability to keep (reasonably) accurate
records and duplicates data that we receive constantly when
authorization is sought for disposal of aqueous waste via lab sink or
when we collect  solid/LSC/carcass waste.

is this useful info for you?

good luck.

john brandon, uiuc, radiation safety office
--- Maximus-CBCS v1.02
--- eecp 1.45 LM2

 * Origin: Check Source BBS (1:233/13)
--
HPS - via FidoNet node 1:233/13    (ehsnet.fidonet.org)