No Subject

--------- The following is a converted OFFICEPOWER mail message ----------

       To:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu

       CC:

  Subject:                                   New [*]       Codes:  [        ]
  Message:

     From:  Capt Noel D. Montgom   By:  montgome@afoms         Attachment [*]

-------------------------------- ATTACHMENT ------------------------------

>Subject:       GC and Ni-63

>Hi all...
>    Some interesting things going on here...
>    Anyway... I have a question.... :o (surprize)
>    Does anyone know some special general license for Ni-63 sources
>in Gas Chromatagraphs?????... we have several on campus (15mCi) and

Many different items may be possessed under 10 CFR 31.5.  The deter-
mining factor is how they were distributed.  10 CFR 32 give rules
for distribution of generally licensed items.  Most GC cells that I
have seen may be distributed either as a generally licensed item or
as a specifically licensed item.  The difference is the level of
disassembly and maintenance that the user is allowed to do (i.e.,
a generally licensee may do none).  You should have gotten infor-
mation with the cells that tells you conditions of use.  Another
source of information is the NRC or Agreement State sealed source
and device registry sheet.

>the NRC hinted that they maybe generally licensed... Thought I would
>put it out for general discussion... Thank lots all

>Bruce Busby
>Idaho State University
>Radiation Safety Office

Noel D. Montgomery, Capt, USAF, BSC