GCs and Ni-63

We have several GCs and all of them are generally licensed. The HP and
Varian ECDs contain 15 mCi of Ni-63. We leak test these. The Valco
instruments contain up to 2 Ci of H-3 (no leak test). The older
instruments that these units replaced were specifically licensed. All it
takes to distribute a generally licensed device (exit signs, GCs, etc.)
is to convince a regulatory agency that the device can be used safely by
individuals not trained in the use of radioactive material, and be
issued a specific license to distribute generally licensed devises. The
requirements on the user varies with the device. The Ni-63 ECDs are leak
tested twice a year. We have some generally licensed ionizing air guns
containing 10 mCi Po-210 that only require leak testing every 13 months.
This is not a problem, usually, because the manufacturer's _lease_ them
to users on a _12_ month basis. If everything goes as planned, we return
them before they require leak testing. However, if the user forgets to
re-order new ones, or the re-order paperwork gets delayed, the air guns
can be here into and past their 13 month leak test period. Reminders to
exchange and leak test from the manufacturer are getting lost in the
system. We are trying to get that worked out with the manufacturer.
Anywho, you have to look at the literature from the manufacturer for the
individual device to determine your regulatory obligations.

Donald P. Mercado, O/47-20, B/106      PROFS Nickname: DMERCADO
Radiation Safety Officer        Internet: Don@LMSC.Lockheed.com
Lockheed Missiles & Space Co., Inc.         Tel. (408) 742-0759
Sunnyvale, Ca 94089                         Fax. (408) 742-0611