GCs and Ni-63

Let's try this again. I don't think my second post got out.

We have several GCs and all of them are generally licensed. The HP and
Varian ECDs contain 15 mCi of Ni-63. We leak test these. The Valco
instruments contain up to 2 Ci of H-3 (no leak test). The older
instruments that these units replaced were specifically licensed. All it
takes to manufacture and distribute a generally licensed device (exit
signs, GCs, etc.) is to convince a regulatory agency that the device can
be used safely by individuals not trained in the use of radioactive
material, and be issued a specific license to distribute generally
licensed devices. The requirements on the user vary with the device. The
Ni-63 ECDs are leak tested twice a year. We have some generally licensed
ionizing air guns containing 10 mCi Po-210 that only require leak
testing every 13 months. This is not a problem, usually, because the
manufacturers lease them to users on a 12 month basis. If everything
goes as planned, we return them before they require leak testing.
However, if the user forgets to re-order new ones, or the re-order
paperwork gets delayed, the air guns can be here into and past their 13
month leak test period. Reminders to exchange and leak test from the
manufacturer are getting lost in the system. We are trying to get that
worked out with the manufacturer. Anywho, you have to look at the
literature from the manufacturer for the individual device to determine
your regulatory obligations.

Donald P. Mercado, O/47-20, B/106      PROFS Nickname: DMERCADO
Radiation Safety Officer        Internet: Don@LMSC.Lockheed.com
Lockheed Missiles & Space Co., Inc.         Tel. (408) 742-0759
Sunnyvale, Ca 94089                         Fax. (408) 742-0611