Re: Unknown vial

          I wish I had a better answer for you, but this may help.
          Even though it says beta, it very likely has alpha activity.
          We've seen some with more alpha than beta in fact. Since
          they were sold for use with cloud chambers, it is logical to
          assume that the quantities were exempt.  The ones we have
          are of very low activities, well below microcurie
          quantities. What the nuclide(s) is, I don't know. The vial
          in question probably came from Spectronics Corp in Westbury
          Long Island. Cenco also sold some with the red used to
          indicate alpha. If I had to guess I'd say there is some
          radium on the thing, but what the beta source was intended
          to be is anybody's guess.

          Good luck

          Paul W. Frame
          Oak Ridge Associated Universities