Experience with consolidating safety groups?

        The Ohio State University is seriously considering consolidating
its Radiation Safety operation with its chemical/environmental safety
program.  This has some clear advantages as far as we are concerned, but
the prevailing wisdom among the radiation safety community is that such a
consolidation has disadvantages.
        I would appreciate hearing some SPECIFIC problems associated with
such a consolidation.  Personal experience accounts are preferred, but
anecdotal accounts will not be ignored.
        Thanks in advance for your response.
Don Price                       dprice@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu