Occupationally Exposed Paleontologists?

Montana State University's Museum of the Rockies has one of the largest coll-
ections of dinosour fossils/bones in the world (you've probably heard of the
Associate Curator "Jurassic" Jack Horner).  The collection is stored in a
massive room (both prepared and unprepared specimens).  I was contacted by some
Museum staff that had concerns about the radiation levels that the collection
produces.

The specimens are moderately radioactive.  The measured exposure rates around
them ranged from 80 to 100 uR/hr (about 3 times background).  On contact with
a pancake GM the count rate ranged from 600 to 1500 cpm for nearly all the
specimens.  Measurement with a ZnS alpha scintillator showed nothing (perhaps
attenuated by a polyvinyl acetate fixitive?).  I do not have any gamma spec
equipment.

The students and staff told me that they routinely lick the specimens,
as well as saw on them (normally using "wet" procedures) for various reasons.

My guess (at this point) is that these fossils contain natural uranium and
thorium.  Does anyone know of any literature available that discusses the
subject?  What are the "protection" ramifications for NORM.  Have any of you
dealt with this type of situation, or one similar?

Your replies are certainly appreciated.

| Erick Lindstrom              |
| Radiation Safety Officer     |
| 309 Montana Hall             |