Re: GM Meter Calibrations

David,
I'm writing to advocate the approach to calibrating G-M meters which Keith
Welch recommended.  G-M meters here at the University are used for qualitative
cpm measurements.  We perform an electronic calibration of all G-M meters every
6 months and have attached a small uranium check source to the side of each
meter for daily performance checking by the users (a label on the side of the
meter informs the user about the expected count rate).  Of course, exposure
rate meters are calibrated in our calibration facility using the usual Cs-137
sources but there are many fewer exposure rate meters on campus so it's not an
overwhelming job.  Is there a reason you feel you can't get by with just an
electronic calibration of your G-M meters?

Sue Dupre/Health Physicist/Princeton University