Re: start up calibration facility

          Steve:

          It would be a good idea to get the following references if
          you are going to proceed with the idea:

          ANSI N323 (1978) Radiation Protection Instrumentation Test
          and Calibration.

          ANSI N42.17a (1989) Performance Specs for H.P.
          Instrumentation-Portable Instrumentation for Use in Normal
          Env. Conditions.

          NCRP Report No. 112 (1991) Calibration of Survey Inst. Used
          in Rad. Prot. for the Assess. of Ionizing Rad, Fields and
          Rad. Surface Contamination.

          Keep in mind that even a large well-funded calibration lab
          can have a good deal of difficulty meeting the
          "requirements" in 323.

          I'll send a handout we use here for our calibration
          lectures. You really need to talk to somebody who actually
          does it, its a bit detailed to discuss over the list, and as
          they say, "the devil is in the details".

          Paul W. Frame  framep@orau.gov