Re: start up calibration facility

>>From: shand

>>I'm looking for recommendations and information on starting up
>>a calibration facility for portable detectors here at the
>>University of Maryland.  The RSO here about 10 years ago used to
>>calibrate their own detectors using a Cs-137 source with an attached
>>sliding Attenuator from J L SHEPHERD, out of Glendale, CA.

>>I have seen smaller versions for around 3500 dollars, and we
>>have a pulser for cpm meters;  however I have no experience in
>>setting up or calibrating other than what I have read in a text.

>>Currently we are spending at the minimum 8000 dollars a year on
>>calibrations, not counting repairs and replacement parts.

Personally I don't like well, or cabinet or collimated sources - I prefer
free-in-air.  BUT such is a difficult and expensive facility to set up.

So I guess the least of all evils is the collimated source with a track -
BUT if you go Shepard I would be leary of their "calibration" and redo it
yourself.

When they did our range they used an MDH to do the calibration.  No way does
an MDH qualify as a standard instrument!!

You will need to get hold of some calibrated R chambers to calibrate it or
make SURE they use same.

Also - ANSI n323 will be a good guide in what is required of a calibration
facility.