compacting rad waste

several years ago (5-7) we purchased a "Genie" waste compactor (the size
that you would store in your garage, not your kitchen) in an attempt to
reduce the volume of rad waste we were shipping off campus.  The
paper/glass/plastic (solid waste) we placed in it came out of the
compactor in a nice, relatively compact "cube" about 24" x 18" x 12".  If
we place these cubes in a 55 gallon drum we had the problem of the "dead"
or empty void space around the cube that reminded us of the square peg in
the round whole problem.  Additionally, after a period of time the
waste began to re-expand, popping the tie off the plastic bag it was
contained in and except for the broken glass or plastic tubes, we
eventually ended up with our original volume.

We have found a very good use of the compactor, however, as we expanded
our decay in storage program.  We now use the compactor every day to
create "cubes" of dry P-32/I-125, etc. waste.  We receive the dry waste,
insure that it is properly defaced within the bags that come from our
research labs, remove the outside waste stickers and labels, and are able
to compact several bags into a P-32 cube.  The cube is placed in a
cardboard box (the size of the cube -- we purchase them as seconds from a
vendor here in town), we label the box with the total activity and the
estimated date of decay and are able to stack them in shelves in our
waste vault.  We feel that by doing this we have probably tripled our DIS
capacity.  The boxes serve well as a secondary containment method and we
haven't experienced any "pop outs" or problems with the waste regaining
its memory and expanding to it's original volume in the 18 months that we
have been following this procedure.

For the long lived nuclides, however, we are still evaluating the
purchase of a compactor from S&G Enterprises that will compact the waste
and hold it in place with a plate that locks into the ring/groove of the
55 gallon drum, keeping it under pressure.

Sharron Stenjem Daly
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
Radiation Safety Program
P.O. Box 413