Re: ANSI N42.17a

Message authorized by:
/S=ljb1@postoffice.mail.cornell.edu/O=ORAUSMTP/PRMD=ESNET/ADMD= /C=US/ at X400PO

On May 18, 1994 Lorna Bullerwell wrote:

>         A while back, someone listed a group of references for
>         calibrating  survey meters.  One of those referenced was
>         ANSI N42.17a,  "Performance Specs for H.P.
>         Instrumentation-Portable  Instrumentation for Use in
>         Normal Env. Conditions".  I was  wondering if someone could
>         summarize what type of  information is in this reference,
>         so I can determine if I  should purchase it or not.
>         Thanks in advance for the info.

          Hi Lorna, that someone was me. The reference was ANSI
          N42.17A-1989 "Performance Specifications for Health Physics
          Instrumentation-Portable Instrumentation for Use in Normal
          Environmental Conditions" Strictly speaking, it does not
          directly address the issue of calibration, and to my
          knowledge, its guidance has not been "required" or even
          referenced by DOE, the NRC or the NVLAP and HPS survey
          instrument calibration certification programs.  Hopefully,
          someone will jump on me if I'm wrong about that. I've been
          told the instrument manufacturers are concerned about its
          possible implementation. Apparently Battelle will do
          everything in N42.17A on an instrument of your choice for a
          mere $20,000 or so :-). The reason I recommended obtaining
          it was that it is very informative about survey instrument
          performance. Far more info than in 323. For example, it
          talks about moisture protection, thresholds for alarms,
          markings, zero sets, check cicuits, response time, line
          noise, probe surface sensitivity, extracameral response,
          overload, vibration, humidity as well as the usual stuff
          about energy dependence etc. It also gives info about
          acceptable methods to test these parameters.

          Regards,  Paul W. Frame framep@orau.gov
                    Oak Ridge Associated Universities

          "Happy are the HPs with only one instrument for they are
          never in doubt"

*  The comments and views expressed in this communication are strictly my  *
*  own and are not to be construed to officially represent those of my     *
*  peers, supervisors, or Cornell University.                              *